Tehachapi SoCal Finals: May 6th, 2018

     So many of my senior experiences have been filled with the word "last" as though it invokes a superstitious strength within anyone who is experiencing something for the last time.. and maybe that it true. As for lasts, this would be my LAST SoCal League Finals at Tehachapi, a course for reasons I don't fully understand, has never given me a podium in the past. You see, usually Finals arrive next to my birthday and my mind is further away from racing than it is from having a good time. This year though, I embraced both: the mindset of hardcore racing & having a good time. 



     On Saturday, yes I am beginning on a Saturday, there was a party for the SoCal League's 10th anniversary. It was a glow in the dark party, so naturally I had to pop in for some fun... I may or may not have participated in a couple mosh pits and I may or may not have fallen within said mosh pit and bruised both an elbow and ankle, BUT it was a good time! In a way, it almost calmed me for Sunday.


     Sunday morning came quickly and I filled my early hours with protein pancakes and a new book I've been reading! Before I knew it, it was time to gear up and head out under the team tent for warm ups. I popped in my ear buds and jammed out to a couple slightly more aggressive rap songs, naturally, to get in race mode. Heading out to wait for call ups, my dad plopped a wet towel on my neck, ice in my back, and even gave me the "professional" feel with a large umbrella hanging over my head. On the race line, I shortly noticed that my heart rate was unusually high and settled into the realization that this would be a tough one. 

     Off the start line I knew "top group" was not an option, but an absolute must. Especially since I had never gotten top five here. Zooming through the first single track the pace was eventually pretty tolerable and I could "hang" in without dying inwardly. On the upward switchbacks I passed into 4th and remained calm as far as strategy went. The slightly rocky downhill portions were fun to hit at a quicker pace and I felt pumped going into the second lap, but I was getting too impatient as far as pacing went. On the fire road climb in-between all of the single track, I passed everyone, hoping to provoke a quicker pace, but instead I found myself leading the drafting train. 

     The second lap was both good and bad. You see, I decided to take my feed w/ nutrition in the bootle both the first and second lap, so by this time my mouth was completely tacky, making it hard to breath deeper. At some point, part of me gave up for a second, but then I told myself "It doesn't matter if my mouth is sticky, it'll be like that whether I go slow OR fast, so I'm going to put in the effort and go fast". Proceeding this, two riders that were in front of me went off course somehow and I was in 2nd for a little bit. By the second half of the second lap there was a three person group, me being 3rd, with a small gap in between us and fourth. On the fire road, again, I was feeling impatient because 4th was closing a gap and the group wasn't pushing the effort enough as we entered the third lap.

     As I began the third lap, I ended up actually taking a dumping bottle instead of a feed bottle, so I took a sip, dumped the rest on my head, and prepared for an intensely dry mouth on this bottle-less lap. I kept with the group until the single track when I got stuck behind a couple riders. This created about a 30 second gap in a short period of time. I pushed with everything in me to get through the uphill switchback and to mentally stay focused. I knew my body was tired, but I also knew I had to keep going hard. The bumpy/rocky downhill went pretty quickly as my back ached and I could see the finish line. At this point, I knew I would get 4th, but I knew I was too far away from 3rd. Still, I was so happy to finally podium at the Tehachapi Finals! I had a lot more fight in me than I originally predicted. I had also secured a 5th in the series overall!

     I would like to give a shoutout to all of my sponsors that supported me throughout the season, without you I would not be at the level I am. The race ran without complications due to the great set up of an Ellsworth Enlightenment Bike with RideFast racing rims, ESI grips, and Kenda tires!! Also, shoutout to GUP Industries and Rudy Project for bringing me comfort and confidence on the course! Thank you to my dad for going above and beyond and all of the people who provide endless support! ALL GLORY TO GOD!

Thank you for reading about this tough weekend of racing and I hope you enjoyed the details!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bonelli US CUP UCI Juniors: April 14th, 2018

Victory At Vail: April 15th 2018